Coventry University’s logo is the mythical phoenix, a creature that’s symbolic of how the university was rebuilt following its destruction in World War II. It also represents the number of times the institution has changed its name, starting with Coventry College of Design in 1843, becoming Lanchester Polytechnic in 1970 and Coventry Polytechnic in 1987.
It became Coventry University in 1992 and is made up four faculties: the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, the Faculty of Business and Law, the Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing, and the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences.
With more than 27,000 students, Coventry is the larger of the two universities in the city – the other being Warwick.
The university’s urban campus is located in the heart of Coventry, with all its buildings within walking distance of each other.
On the main 33-acre Coventry campus there are over 20 buildings, includes its latest two additions: the Hub and the Engineering and Computing Building. The Hub is home to the Student’s Union, a bar and nightclub, and various food outlets.
Across from the Hub is the university’s Westwood Heath Sports facility, which includes a floodlit AstroTurf and grass pitches for football, rugby, hockey, and cricket.
There are also two other campuses owned by the university: one in London and the other in Scarborough, in Yorkshire, part of a £45 million development in 2015.
Coventry also has a longstanding partnership with Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics (JUFE) in Nanchang, China. Both universities have recently collaborated to launch the modern Confucius Institute, based at Coventry, that’s intended to be ‘hub for support of educational institutions and businesses regionally, and helping the local community to engage with China and learn more about Chinese language and culture.’
At Coventry University, there are nearly 100 clubs and societies for students to join.